Thursday, November 09, 2006

Newport, Newport


For a belated response to Newport's ommission from a list of places that chime with the description of Wales as an "erotic coquette", I turn to the world's most feeble poet, Goff Morgan, and his encomium to my, and his, home town:


I loves Newport 'cos
The people are so friendly
Warm, and smiling,
And ready for the fight!
I hates Newport 'cos
The people are so ugly,
Rude, and aggressive
And spoiling for a fight!

I loves Newport 'cos
The architecture's lovely,
Victorian and Edwardian
And an asset to the town!
I hates Newport 'cos
The buildings are old and dirty,
And the bus station's repellent,
And it's letting down the town.

I loves Newport 'cos
It's growing and it's changing
It just keeps getting better
That's why I keep coming back!
I hates Newport 'cos
Nothing ever changes,
It's been going down hill for fifty years,
That's why I'm not coming back!

I hates it 'cos I loves it,
I want everything and nothing
To preserve it and expand it
In the gloom or in the sun.
I loves it and I hates it 'cos
It's changing and it's constant
It's ancient and it's modern
And everything to everyone.

Goff Morgan - October 2006

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The title of the poem is "Marmite Town" - you must have missed it when copying it from the BBC South East Wales site.

It was written during a live broadcast of the Roy Noble programme on October 13th 2006, from the producers brief, to bring together the diverse and often contradictory comments of the residents of Newport contained in the I love/I Hate Newport comments box. It is not my encomium, as next to none of the words are mine. In fact, I don't think it's an encomium at all!

Finally, I would like to thank you for calling me the "world's most feeble poet"; I would have thought that my feebleness extended no further than South East Wales!

Merry Christmas!

11:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home